In the 19th century, Swedish Professor Henry Ling rationalizes that massage is a combination of three movements: Effleurage, Petrissage and Kneading, and Percussion. In modern times, the massage techniques are an updated combination of Effleurage, Petrissage and Kneading, Percussion, Friction and Vibration. In our massage videos they are highlighted thoroughly by our Registered Massage Therapist.
1. Effleurage (stroking): Use the entire flat surface of the hands. Long strokes with smooth and gliding motions helps with circulation and heightens the amount of relaxation.
2. Petrissage (kneading): Use the thumb and fingers, grasping skin and surface muscles with firm and gentle motions. Wringing, rolling, squeezing, and dropping them back into place. The very precise movements are very good for older adults and children.
3. Percussion: Use both hands in rapid and stimulating movements. a) tapping - the use of fingertips; b) cupping - use of cupped hand movements; c) hacking - use of karate (open hand) type chopping movements; d) slapping - use of open, flat palms; or e) pounding - use of both fists; f) Tapotement - use of the fingertips in percussion type drumming movements. This stimulates the muscles and nerves.
4. Friction: Rolling circular movements done with slow, long, firm strokes. Contact with skin in which superficial tissues are moving over the deeper tissues. Improves congestion and build up of toxic waste and the breaking down of adhesions around joints and bony areas. Effleurage should be used after this stroke since the local temperature is raised.
5. Vibration: Use of the whole hand or fingers with very fast back and forth trembling or shaking movements. Especially used for upper back, buttocks and thighs. This is very effective in stimulating terminal nerve branches or nerve centers.
The effects of Basic Massage Therapy Techniques have been known to treat a wide range of conditions from insomnia, stress, muscle spasms, aches and pains associated with pregnancy, and a myriad of other conditions. Our massage videos show that this form of activity will show the positive side of a preventative and alternative healing method of the mind and body.