My perception underwent a dramatic change when a good friend gifted me a massage coupon. Hey, there seemed no point in wasting good money. Besides, I had the afternoon off!
So, there I was, perched at the edge of my seat in a room that made me feel like I'd suddenly stepped into another world. The aroma of some scented oils and the soft strains of music made me want to sink back in the plush chair. But, I was too busy drinking in the sights and the sounds. I was sure that this first experience would also be the last. How wrong I was! In the massage room, when the masseuse began working her magic on me, I was transported to another world. I understood how it felt to be heavy and light at the same time. I discovered several muscles that I never knew existed. Best of all, I discovered how absolutely great the massage made you feel. From that moment on, I was a convert!
What it does:
In a therapeutic massage, a qualified masseuse manipulates the soft tissues of the body to stimulate blood circulation. Therapeutic massage makes use of essential healing oils that make it easy for you to relax and unwind.
Advantages of therapeutic massage:
When a qualified therapist does it, a therapeutic massage can make you feel like a new person, inside and outside. Some of the most evident and immediately felt advantages of a massage are:
- Relaxes tense and aching muscles (surprisingly, you won't notice how tense some of your muscles actually are until the massage loosens them. It feels delicious).
- Improves blood circulation, even in the remotest corners of your body (you can't imagine how nice it feels when the soles of your feet are massaged).
- Moisturizes the body gently leaving it baby soft for days. Smells heavenly too (husband loved it).
- Allows you to drift off to a world where there is just you, your mind and your body. When you come back, you'd have left behind all feelings of stress. You really are ready to take on the big bad world!
- Induces deep relaxation which improves the quality of sleep and gets rid of anxiety related disorders (I went to sleep at the end of the session and was woken up an hour later - which is something considering that I am a very light sleeper).
Regular sessions of therapeutic massage can help the body detoxify. This is because the rhythmic act of massaging drains the lymph to release toxins. In this way, therapeutic massage can boost the immune system. Research shows that sportspeople show increased productivity and recover faster from aches and pains when they undergo massage. It has even been said that people suffering from conditions like asthma, cardiac problems and edema also find great relief from therapeutic massage.
So, if you are wondering whether you should or shouldn't go for a therapeutic massage, my advice is this: just go! You'll be glad you did.